My Blog List

  • - Fill out my online form. There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.
    7 years ago

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Hartford Half Marathon

WEEKLY UPDATE:  Down 3.4 this week!! That makes my total 34.8lbs since July First.   I'm so happy that I finally broke my plateau.   I didn't give up and it was well worth it, and if I average this week with the two weeks I remained flat, I'm still down on average over one pound a week which is pretty awesome for over 3 months into my journey.   One thing I did differently this week, I started a 7 Day Water Challenge group where I challenged a group of 20 people to drink 64-96oz of water a day (depending on their current intake and weight, everyone set a daily goal).  As a result of running this group, I started tracking my water and realized I wasn't drinking close to the 100 I should be, I'm sure that's what helped break my plateau.

On to the marathon....

I did it! I finished!!  I really felt like 'me' again - I was even wearing my typical race outfit (a little snugger than usual - but it's my race shirt and yoga pants).   I felt so much clarity being on the road again with all those other runners.   My time was basically double my 'old' race time, but the fact of the matter is, I made my way through 13.1 miles no matter the speed.  I ran with a good friend and we vowed to stay together - I did a lot of running and shuffling the first 10 miles, but then around mile 10 decided to do a little walking too.  It was all downhill from there.  I have to remember that for my next race, walking (especially in the rain) totally kills your momentum!    Regardless, I finished and got my medal.  I was definitely motivated by that medal as silly as it sounds.   

This is a little collage I made to compare a photo from this summer when I was just starting my journey back to fit and then one from this weekend.   At 1/3 of the way there, I'm pretty happy with my progress (both on physical appearance, but more importantly on physical strength!).  Can't wait to post more about my future races!

If you enjoy my blog, I'd love to have you in my private (women only) Facebook Group dedicated to health, fitness and nutrition: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FitandHealthyPrivateGroup/ 

Here we are pre-race, I was so excited!


...and post race, wet and tired but also very very happy.





I also started a fun new tradition after the race.  As I was driving home (and having difficulty due to foot pain), I decided we needed a much earned reward.   These are two of my all time favorite things - Starbucks Lattes and pedicures!   While the medal was motivating, I think knowing I had these two things at the end of the race would have motivated me even more.   I strongly recommend this combination as a reward after you finish your next fitness endeavor!   

A side note: My feet were really what kept me back on this race, and so I learned my lesson: Never buy shoes based on the color.   I was so excited about this race, that I went and bought the cutest sneakers I could find - bad idea!  My feet are still in pain 4 days later while my leg muscles barely hurt after!


And of course, as all Mom's do, I shared my prized medal with my son.   He was having a ball playing with it.  Although, in the past few days he's retired the medal and is now hooked on the free water bottle I got at the end of the race.  He's very proud of himself for being able to drink out of it all by himself.    Maybe he's the family's next marathoner?






No comments:

Post a Comment