My Blog List

  • - Fill out my online form. There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.
    7 years ago

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Grattitude

Weekly Update: This week, similar to last, it appears I'm at a bit of a plateau.  While I expected it last week, I wasn't expecting it quite so much this week.  I am down .2, and in my prior life would have used that as an excuse to go off course, have a pity party and ultimately sabotage myself.

What I am most proud of myself for is not letting this get me down, frustrate me, or cause me to lose sight of the goal.    This week I took some time to think about what things I'm grateful for despite the lack of a 'big loss'.  I'm grateful that I did not gain weight and the fact that I am down over 30 pounds in total.  I am grateful for the physical strength I'm continuing to build every day.   Just yesterday, I found myself using 12 pound weights for an entire 30 minute workout.  A short two months ago during the same workout I was struggling using 5 pound weights.  The number on the scale is what we typically use to measure that strength, but I'm realizing that a number doesn't tell close to near the whole story.

If you enjoy my blog, I'd love to have you in my private (women only) Facebook Group dedicated to health, fitness and nutrition: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FitandHealthyPrivateGroup/ 




An example of this is something I plan to do on Saturday.  This weekend will mark my 5th and slowest half marathon ever.  What makes this race different from any other is the journey it represents for me.  This race will involve running, but it will also involve walking and probably plenty of it.  It may involve tears, but it will also involve extreme pride and a sense of accomplishment.  In the past my half marathons have always been either a couple seconds above or below the 2 hour marker.   My goal for Saturday is different.  My only goal is to finish and I have accepted the fact that it will potentially take me up to 4 hours (well past when the water stations close, and the finish line is wrapped up).   I am OK with that, because for me this marks a huge milestone in my journey back to fit.  Prior to becoming pregnant, running was one of the things that defined me.  I loved running, I would run for miles to clear my head and I was always looking for the next race to get involved with.   Finishing the Hartford Half Marathon on Saturday is a symbol of the 'new' me reconnecting with the 'old' pre baby me.  I can't wait to update the blog next Thursday with how I did!




I love this quote, and it is so true.  Even with the prior races I have run, you always have a journey and it's unique to you and often varies from run to run.   My journey on Saturday may involve tears of physical pain and will most likely also involve tears of emotional joy.   I love the spirit involved in races, knowing everyone there is running for their personal journey, and they have miles and miles of time with themselves to discover what that is.



While I haven't specifically trained for the race like in prior years (building up mileage every week one mile at a time), I have been training daily in my home office and I am confident the workouts will pay off.   I signed up for the race about a month ago, 20 pounds into my weight loss journey (now down 31.4 with much more to go).  I knew I didn't have time to 'train' in my typical fashion and that I wouldn't be running the whole race, but even walking it would be an accomplishment from where I was only a few months ago.   

Below is my workout studio, it's not big but it's exactly what I need to get this body back into shape.   What you see on the walls are my accountability calendars, marking each day of my workouts (I love sticky notes to prove I did a workout!)


In addition to my nightly workouts, I also spend about a half hour to an hour every night working on motivating others and engaging with my Fit & Healthy Facebook page.  I recently got this shirt in the mail as a free gift from Beachbody.  It makes me happy just to look at it!




Here is a quick little photo of my little guy, reminding me what this blog and my journey is all about.  He is my reason for pushing play every night on that DVD player, he is the reason I make sure I pick up the water and drink 100oz daily, he is the reason I spend time researching recipes and balancing our meal plans.  I want to be there as a role model for him for many years to come!





In other news, things are starting to move along nicely with my business (name to be disclosed as soon as the Secretary of State makes it official!).  While I'm extremely anxious, I'm trying out a new 'me' where I don't let the 'what ifs' stop me from doing something I know I'm good at and I know I'm passionate about.   I'm not going to play it safe and never try to follow my dreams.  I'm going to try my hardest and see where it lands me!   I took the plunge on Tuesday and officially filed with the State of CT for my LLC, as well as finalized my logo (a good friend of mine is working on it for me).  

It feels so weird that I'm doing this!  It sort of reminds me of when I first became a mother.  That feeling when you realize they are going to let you go home with this precious little commodity and the doctors completely trust you to take care of him.   The thing about that day in the hospital, is that they were right - I WAS capable of being a good mother, and I am a loving, caring, and sometimes exhausted mother every single day.   I have to remind myself that I can do this too.  I know I can teach and motivate others, and I know I'm good at it. I am lucky in that I already have a small following of friends who have pushed me to pursue this dream.  I already have clients which is such a cool way to start out!


My next endeavor is to work on finding an indoor space for this winter so we can keep our fitness classes going.   I'll be on the look out, but would love any suggestions!  Please feel free to comment or email me at fitandbalancedmom@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment